by Bobby Stickel
Maybe you've been living deep in a mine and you haven't heard about Smiths of Winterforge. Actually, that's not fair-- there are SO MANY games coming out, it's impossible to keep up with them, let alone know which are good. We get it, and we're here to sift through the grit to show you the diamond that really is Smiths of Winterforge.
From Rule & Make:
The forges of the Dwarven city of Winterforge have fired up once more. The royal centenary contract is up for renewal and only one of the legendary guilds can win the favour of the royal family and claim the contract as their own.
In Smiths of Winterforge players take control of a guild that has to earn money and reputation to ensure they are chosen for the royal centenary contract. You earn money by:
- Taking contracts from the guild precinct
- Buying components from the market place
- Using components to craft your contract in the forge and earning money
Don’t have enough money to buy the components you need? Get a loan from the bank. Just make sure you pay it back before the end of the game.
Need a hand finishing your contract? Head to the Tavern and grab some crew to join your guild.
There are many paths to riches and reputation, are you going to take the right one?
Ok, you now have a basic understanding of the flavor of the game. BUT HERE'S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW: There is a 'Special Edition,' and it's very limited. Here are the details on it:
- $59.99 MSRP
- Includes 6th player expansion
- Includes solo variant rules and cards
- 4 modular 'alleyway' expansions
- Again, just to compare, the regular version plays 2-5, the SPECIAL EDITION plays 1-6
Once this print run is sold out, these items won’t be available again in the base game or separately.
This is going to be one of the most talked-about games of 2018, and we want to review this checklist:
- I understand that there is a 'base game' version, AND a Special Edition available
- I understand that the Special Edition is limited, and when it's gone, it's gone
- I also understand that the only way to play solo, or to add a 6th player, are in the Special Edition
We good? Ok, so if the Special Edition is for you, please ask your FLGS to order you a copy. That's the only way you'll get it.
Until next time,